Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Pray for my Granny



My grandmother has been in the hospital with pnuemonia. She was doing pretty well but on Monday night had a stroke and is now on life support. Jeff and the kids and I went down last night to see her for what is probably the last time. She's been pretty ill the last several years. She lost most of her eyesight a few years ago and she is in constant pain. My mom told me about a month ago that getting to see Brady was the only thing that was keeping my grandmother alive. Sadly, that likely won't happen now. I think one of the greatest gifts that you can have in life is for someone to love your kids intensely. In my opinion, a child can't have too many people that love them. My grandparents have always loved my children with such a fierceness that it overwhelms my heart. They remembered every cute thing that my children ever did and would do anything for them. My grandfather died when we were waiting for AnnaClaire. He was diagnosed with lung cancer when we were waiting for Allie and they only gave him a few months to live. We knew it would be a while before Allie would be home, but I so desired for her to know Popaw's love. I prayed that God would let him live until Allie came home. Not only did he live to see her come home, he lived long enough to enjoy her first year home. His doctors called him 'the Miracle Man'. They couldn't explain how he had lasted so long. We knew:) Now is time for my grandmother to join him. Selfishly, I would love for her to get to see Brady, to hold him...for him to know his Granny. But this time, I just can't pray for that. She's in so much pain. I want her to be able to let go and go home. I hope that when she does that she will be able to look down from Heaven and see our Brady and let him know that we are coming, that we love him, that she loves him too.

3 comments:

The Byrd Family said...

Lisa, I remember when your grandfather died while following AnnaClaire's journey. I will pray for your grandmother and your whole family for peace and for God's healing powers. It is so sad for us here on earth when we lose a loved one but what a celebration for them when Jesus comes to bring them home! Hugs, Kim

mommy24treasures said...

oh Lisa...
hugs and prayers for your family from mine.
We will keep your dear grandmother in our prayers...May God surround her and the entire family with His peace, which passes human understanding. May He encompass you all with His love and tender mercies...
Love
Connie

LaLa said...

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear she is so ill. It really is hard to know how to pray when so much pain is involved. I know my Dad kept saying he wanted to live long enough to meet Annslee and see my sister graduate from nursing school. He did both and like you said, he was in so much pain at the end we were almost relieved to see him go.
I hope you are surrounded by peace during this time. I know she will be a guardian angel and be near Brady until you can get there.