Thursday, September 01, 2011

Coralie Day!

note: I was with Brady at the hospital on the official anniversary of Coralie Day so this post is a few days late.





I can't believe it's been a year.  This first year with Coralie has gone by so quickly.  I can't explain to those who don't know Coralie what a special child she is and to those who know her, I don't have to.  If I had been able to tell God exactly what we wanted in our next child, we could have never come close to the actual child we were given.  She is amazing.  We are so blessed.  Once again.


On the day we met Coralie, we were one of the first families to get to the Civil Affairs office.  We were the very last to meet our child.  they brought Coralie in amidst the chaos and joy of other families being formed.  She was whisked into another room.  

Our first glimpse..



then they brought her out, but not really TO us...




She was NOT impressed with her new family. AT ALL.  She walked around the room trying to get as far away from me as she could.  I had to bribe her with a yogurt drink to get her to come near me.




She was quite devastated by the entire experience.  My heart broke for her.  It also fell hard for her.  I was madly and deeply in love from the moment we met.

The first few days were really hard.  She rocked constantly and beat her head against the wall.  She screamed something in Cantonese that mean she didn't like what was going on.  She grieved her life at the orphanage.  It was all she had ever known.




Our little shell shocked baby girl.  I thought she might never be happy again.  I felt guilt for taking her away from the life she'd known.  I questioned whether we were doing the right thing.  
Then we visited her orphanage.  We saw a glimpse of her true self chattering away with her friends.  She was like a little rock star when we were there.  The kids were so happy to have her back.




We met her little friend Pei and I realized that Coralie could be heartbroken because she left or she could be heartbroken because she was left behind.  




After the orphanage visit, we saw a change in Coralie.  
Maybe we weren't THAT bad.




and then it happened...








and we've been stuck like glue ever since.

We love you Coco!


7 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

She is the cutest little stinker:) I wish you could have brought Pei home too. Makes me so sad, it is really the only family they have ever know are the friends they leave behind. Happy Coralie Day!!!!

Lisa L said...

Kimberley,
I wish we could have, too. According to the nannies at the orphanage, Pei was healthy so there was no way we'd be eligible for her. I did have Marci at ASIA looking for her file just in case she was listed as SN but she hasn't seen it. They told us at the orphanage that they were getting her file ready to send to the CCAA so I am hoping that she is now with her new family.

Kristen said...

I wish they did a slower transition...or something. My daughter was teh same way only she was in foster care & had been with her foster mom since two days old. It was TRAUMATIC. We too noticed a change after the SWI visit. The fopster mom was there and was telling her (in Mandarin) that it was ok to stay with her new family, etc. Happy Coralie Day!

Brandee said...

She is such a cutie! Happy Coralie Day!! I cannot believe it has been a year. It seems like just yesterday you got her file!!!!!

Jen said...

Loved reading your posts! We are hoping to sign with ASIA soon so I'd love to email you some questions if you are open to it.

Jennifer

vulnaviag said...

this is so adorable and heart warming

vicki said...

great pictures, great transformation. seems like only yesterday we were in China, and soon, you will be back :)