Friday, June 29, 2007

Brady's Appointment with the Surgeon

We went yesterday to talk to the surgeon about Brady's palate. Of course the little stinker wouldn't open his mouth for the doctor to get a good look. When he is crying, you can usually get a really good look at it. I was holding him at one point as the doctor was explaining things to me and he starting crying. I quickly moved him into position and told the doctor he could get a good look now. Brady's fit came to an immediate halt and he clamped those lips shut. Gracious, I thought AnnaClaire was stubborn! This one has her beat by a mile. The doctor had gotten a good enough look to tell us that his cleft was wide. Actually, he didn't say it was wide, he said it was WWWIIIIIDDDEEEE. Sometimes after a palate repair, a hole called a fistula forms and then there has to be a second surgery to repair the fistula. The doctor said his palate was so wide that he could about guarantee that a fistula would form and that it would take two surgeries. He said this palate was going to be a hard one to repair. I feel so badly that Brady will have to endure all this but I know it is what has to be done. He'll have to wear splints on his arms for 3 weeks after each surgery to keep him from putting things in his mouth. Man, is he going to hate us for that! We go to the ENT on July 10 to see if he needs tubes in his ears and then the surgery will be scheduled. They said it would likely be late August. That's all we know right now. Oh yeah, the doctor did say that Brady's lip and nose look great (we think so too). Brady's pediatrician told me matter-of-factly that his nose was asymmetrical. BIG GIANT EYEROLL on that one.

6 comments:

The Byrd Family said...

Will begin praying for his surgery and his recovery Lisa. We had the same experience at the eye doctor. Emma Jane closed her eyes very tightly and wouldn't let him look. I'm not sure how he even wrote the prescription for her glasses correctly?? Hugs, Kim

mommy24treasures said...

Love all your updates to the blog. Looks good. :)
I know you are dreading the surgery time, I will be praying for you all.
the pics are all wonderful. Love his happy face! Poor little AC :( She is such a sweetheart.

LaLa said...

Poor baby...praying here that all goes as smoothly as possible. Yeah, giant eyeroll here too...

Angie said...

Hey Lisa! I have been praying for ya'll and will continue to pray especially for Brady as he endures the suregeries. poor thing! Please let me know if I can help with the kids or anything! I'm here for you girl!

And...Tag! you're it! See my, "I'm it!" post for more info!

Hope to see you soon!
Your 5 months "pregnant" friend,
Angie
www.myheartsgivingbirth.blogspot.com

2China4Ayla said...

Lisa - I will be lifting your whole family in prayer over Brady's surgeries. I can only imagine the dread of watching them wheel your little one away and the idea of having to keep him safe and protected with arm restraints for 3 weeks would send me over the edge. Brady sounds like my Ayla with her eye - they are going to have to give her anesthesia to get her eye taken care of. I am so not looking forward to that and she will just be sleeping - no surgeries. I miss you! Tonya

Shelly & Family! said...

Oh Lisa...we here in the Leonard household will all be praying for little Brady.